Skip to content
Special Spring Offer - Free Shipping & No Sales Tax until the end of March!
Special Spring Offer - Free Shipping & No Sales Tax until the end of March!

Medicare Info

Will Medicare Pay For My Mobility Equipment?

Being reimbursed by Medicare is a very lengthy and complicated process. Their requirements for eligibility are quite extensive, and you could be waiting around for months for an answer from them. If you are unable to pay the full amount of your mobility equipment, we recommend you pay in installments over time by selecting “Shop Pay” at checkout. 

Below is a list of things to keep in mind when trying to get reimbursement from Medicare. If you’re still confused, we strongly suggest you give Medicare a call to clarify any information. 

Medicare Phone Number: 1-800-633-4227

Important things to consider before using Medicare for reimbursement:

1.) Sometimes, you may need a doctor's prescription in order to be reimbursed for the equipment. Please ask Medicare if that's the case for your situation.

2.) If approved, Medicare Part B usually covers up to 80% of the cost of the equipment, but in some cases, they may cover all of it. 

3.) Although we do not accept direct payment from Medicare or any other insurance, we can offer itemized receipts and medicare billing codes upon request to help with the reimbursement process. Simply send us an email at info@restoremobility.com or call us at 800-971-5369 to let us know you will be requesting that info after you purchase.

4.) Medicare and other insurance will often only cover certain models of scooters and wheelchairs. Please call Medicare first to make sure the item that you are buying is Medicare approved.  

Other Important Information

Getting A Prescription

One of the initial steps in obtaining a mobility scooter is securing a prescription from a healthcare provider. The prescription serves as crucial documentation, demonstrating the medical necessity of the scooter. It should outline your specific condition, the challenges you face, and the essential role the mobility scooter plays in enhancing your mobility and overall quality of life.

How to Get Help from Medicaid

If you're eligible for Medicaid, you have a potential pathway to acquire a mobility scooter. The process typically involves a doctor's prescription and adherence to your state's specific Medicaid requirements. It's essential to communicate with your state's Medicaid office to gain in-depth insights into the application process and ensure you meet all criteria.

Mobility Scooters Covered by Medicare

Medicare Part B offers coverage for medically necessary mobility scooters. However, not all scooters make the cut. To qualify for Medicare coverage, the scooter must align with specific criteria. It should meet designated specifications and weight capacity requirements. Communicating with Medicare is vital to navigate the application process smoothly.

Will Medicare Pay for a Mobility Scooter

Medicare typically shoulders up to 80% of the cost of a Medicare-approved mobility scooter, leaving the remaining 20% as the individual's responsibility. To unlock this coverage, the mobility scooter must be deemed medically necessary by a healthcare provider. Eligibility criteria relating to mobility issues are essential for a successful application.

Lightweight Scooters that are Medicare Approved

While Medicare places emphasis on the medical necessity and suitability of mobility scooters, lightweight options may be approved if they meet specific criteria. Lightweight scooters can be more portable and easier to transport, making them a preferred choice for some individuals. Discussing the suitability of such scooters with your healthcare provider and Medicare themselves can help you explore this option.

How Do You Qualify for a Mobility Scooter

Qualifying for a mobility scooter hinges on several factors. You should have a documented medical condition that significantly impedes your ability to walk or move around. The first step is obtaining a doctor's prescription, which highlights the medical necessity of the scooter. Additional criteria, particularly those related to the scooter's specifications, may differ depending on whether you're seeking Medicaid or Medicare assistance. A collaborative effort with healthcare professionals and your insurance company is paramount to ensure compliance with all eligibility and criteria requirements.